Friday, November 24, 2006

Marriage

In about an hour folks will be arriving here at FBC for a wedding rehearsal. I am looking forward to worshipping the Lord with the Groom and the Bride and their guests as they enter into the marriage covenant. As they prepared the bulletin for their wedding they referred to the message as “Challenge.” An interesting choice for a label. Perhaps they refrained from calling it a sermon for fear that I would preach for 45 minutes. Perhaps they have been guests at too many weddings where whatever was said from the platform was of no lasting value.

I approach weddings with a perspective similar to the ordinances. Relax, those who know me well know that I am not going to refer to weddings, believer’s baptism or the Lord’s Supper as “Sacraments”. The similarity comes in the fact that each of these God ordained events prompts me to think in the past, in the present, and in the future.

Through the service we will seek to center our attention upon the goodness and greatness of God. There is, however, the reality that tomorrow is in part about the Groom and the Bride. And it should be. I must confess that, at times like this, I frequently find myself thinking back and with great delight scan over the years since Tamra and I were married. I rejoice in the wonderful wife the Lord has given. I praise God for a wife who loves Him and is a tremendous help meet.

I am also guilty - I trust you’ll realize that that is not the proper word - of thinking forward to another wedding day. Involvement in weddings here makes me long more eagerly for the great marriage feast of the Lamb. Oh what a day that will be when in glory the Lord Jesus Christ presents His Bride (the Church) to His Father. What a scene when at last the Bride is arrayed in all the splendor that Christ deserves. The fact that her fine white linen is the righteousness acts of the saints reminds me that living for Him today is eternally significant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home