Saturday, November 25, 2006

A Confession Concerning Goodness

I make it a habit of checking http://www.godwardpassion.blogspot.com/ and reading the excellent blogs from my friend Phil Siefkes. Generally my response is "Amen". This morning I went to the spot and came away with a different reply. Today it was "Ouch".

The discomfort did not come from any poor exegesis or unsound theology. You will not find those coming from Phil's keyboard. Rather, it came because his latest post brought to mind one of my favorite sayings. When I ask someone how they are doing and they respond "good," I correct them. I assure you that my concern does not flow from a passion for proper use of the English language. Rather, it is anchored to a concern for sound theology. The Apostle Paul declares in the Epistle to the Romans that "there is none that doeth good." I like to remind the unsuspecting speaker of that vital truth.

As I read Phil's comments this morning I was convicted by the fact that for the child of God the proper response to my question may indeed be "good". And, if I understand the Scriptures, the Lord's design is that we who know Christ as Savior do good (Eph. 2:10). Truly we have no goodness of our own. On the other hand, the Holy Spirit of God, is at work in the believer producing a genuine goodness.

So, how are you doing? I pray that our answers may be "by the grace of God, I am doing good."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home