Saturday, December 02, 2006

Discernment

The blog menu in recent days seems to be "hunting." What else do you expect from a guy who has spent so many years in pursuit of the whitetail? Reflection on the many seasons in the woods reminds me of the many lessons learned from God's creation.

A parenthesis is in order at this point. When I think of object lessons from life I am reminded of Mrs. Vernis Nelson. I can confidently say that I have never met another person who garnered so much from observing the little things of creation. Vernis serves as secretary of Faith Baptist Church of Kenmare North Dakota. It is her habit to walk the 12 blocks to work until the temperature dropped to 20 below zero. Quite often the door would open, I would hear "Hello Pastor" and then "I saw ...... and I thought ........" Great gems were mined from the migrating geese, the falling leaves, the blowing snow (imagine that in Northwest North Dakota!)

Back to my hunting and the necessity of discernment. Those who are hunters will agree that it is amazing how many things sound like deer. I have no idea of how many times I thought "I hear a deer coming." Similarly, I have often squinted into the shadows at what was surely a buck only to realize it was a log or a rock. From time to time, as I wait for that anticipated opportunity to bag some venison, I am still distracted by various sights and sounds. The successful sportsman recognizes need to distinguish between that which is true and that which is false.

It is here where the parallel is clearly before my eyes. Our age and our society is marked by a lack of discernment. Some appears to be the result of a lack of willingness or desire to distinguish between truth and error. In other cases it is evident that folks have not been taught to think biblically. Perhaps I will revisit this subject later and pursue other aspects but my purpose today is to exhort Pastors to be diligent in the work of equipping the saints. As shepherds of God's flock we have been given the responsibility of preparing the sheep in this area of discernment.

The sheep are not made ready for the distractions and distortions which endanger them by creating a list of "good guys" and "bad guys." Nor are they enabled by man centered ministry which aims at entertainment. The necessary training comes through the faithful teaching flowing from the careful study of the Scriptures.

May I exhort my fellow Pastors to labor in the Word and doctrine, to give yourselves to prayer and the ministry of the Word, to be found faithful - as is required in servants.


1 Comments:

At 3:22 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the encouragement, my friend. Discernment and Biblical discrimination are so greatly needed.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home